InvestNH Municipal Planning & Zoning Grants
Are zoning regulations getting in the way of achieving your community’s vision for itself over the next five, ten, twenty-plus years? The InvestNH Municipal Planning & Zoning Grants are here to help municipalities increase your capacity for meaningful community engagement while working with consultants to audit, and even rewrite, your zoning regulations in order to allow the housing options that best meet your community’s needs.
Interested in managing this program? Apply by August 26 to join the Plan NH team!
Illustrations Courtesy of Barnstead, NH Charrette
What type of grants are available through this program?
1) COMMUNITY HOUSING NAVIGATOR GRANTS are for municipalities to hire local staff who will coordinate regulatory change to help increase housing development. Grant applications will be accepted until September 30, 2022. Awards will be made on or before October 14, 2022.
2) HOUSING OPPORTUNITY PLANNING (HOP) GRANTS are for municipalities to hire consultants to work on one or more of the three phases of regulatory change outlined below. Municipalities may hire consultants using a competitive process or they may choose a consultant from a list of pre-approved qualified consultants, which will include their regional planning commission.
- Needs Analysis and Planning Grants
- $25,000 grant maximum for this phase.
- Applications will be accepted and awarded on a rolling basis until January 27, 2023 or when funds are exhausted, whichever occurs first.
- Regulatory Audit Grants
- $50,000 grant maximum for this phase.
- Applications will be accepted and awarded on a rolling basis until June 30, 2023 or when funds are exhausted, whichever occurs first.
- Regulatory Development Grants
- $100,000 grant maximum for this phase.
- Applications will be accepted and awarded on a rolling basis until November 15, 2023 or when funds are exhausted, whichever occurs first.
Interested in managing this program? Join the Plan NH team today!
General Program Information
The InvestNH Municipal Planning & Zoning Grants are administered by Plan NH in partnership with New Hampshire Housing and UNH Extension for Economic & Community Development. Grants may be as high as $250,000 to hire a Community Housing Navigator, or as high as $100,000 for meaningful community engagement and the hiring of planning consultants for the purposes of needs analyses, regulatory audits, and regulatory development. For more information on these grants, visit nhhopgrants.com.
For information on other InvestNH programs, visit invest603.com.
Please note: The previously administered MTAG Program is currently on hold while the program partners focus on the InvestNH Municipal Planning & Zoning Grants.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. We encourage you to contact us if you have any questions about the program and application. Email a brief description of the project along with any questions you might have to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, feel free to call us at 603-452-7526.
No. MTAG funds are specifically for technical assistance in reviewing, re-writing or creating zoning regulations or ordinances related to housing. You may want to do this in support of/to meet the goals of your existing/current housing chapter.
No. Grant funds may only be used to pay for approved expenses incurred after the MTAG award date. Grant funds cannot be used to offset expenses incurred prior to the grant award.
Yes, as long as the grant will be administered by a single municipality. Note that no matter the number of municipalities within one application, the funding limits ($5,000 – $25,000) are per application.
No. We will work with you and your consultant to figure out a timeline that makes sense for your project and your community. We recognize on occasion an extension may be needed for a project. Communicate any shift in project timeframe through your monthly reports.