Does your community need more choices in places to live – but zoning is preventing them? The Municipal Technical Assistance Grant (MTAG) Program may be assistance you need. We now accept applications on a rolling basis. If your community does not have the resources to complete and submit a full application, please give us a call. We want to work with you.

Illustrations Courtesy of Barnstead, NH Charrette

MTAG Featured Charrette

Who's MTAG for?

Funded by New Hampshire Housing and administered by Plan NH, the New Hampshire Municipal Technical Assistance Grant Program (MTAG) is for New Hampshire communities who want to expand options for places to live and need to change their zoning regulations in order to do so. Grants range from $5000 to $20,000. A 25% cash match is required.

Grant funds are for hiring consultants to
• work with the community to identify its housing needs
• review current regulations
• Re-write or create new zoning regulations

A key part of the program is community outreach and engagement in the process.

Communities in process:

Claremont, Exeter, Hopkinton, Peterborough (2nd time).

MTAG Process Pic

MTAG may be the assistance you need

Frequently Asked Questions

Any incorporated NH municipality is eligible for this program. A consultant may work with you to complete the application, but MTAG funds will NOT reimburse that time spent. If your community is too small to have someone complete your application, please do give us a call. We understand, and are developing an alternative process so that you, too, can benefit from this program.

The funds are for competitive grants for cities and towns who wish to increase housing options that address households with diverse needs and income levels.


The funds are to pay a consultant (who could be, but does not have to be, your regional planning commission) for technical assistance in reviewing, revising and/or creating zoning regulations or related as they relate to housing options. In addition, at least 5% of the funds must be used for community outreach and engagement.

Provided they are clearly intended to increase housing options, eligible
projects may include, but are not limited to:


  • Form-based codes
  • Mixed-use zoning
  • Inclusionary zoning and workforce housing solutions. Inclusionary zoning is defined in NH RSA 674:21 and can help a community fulfill its obligations under the NH Workforce Housing Law, RSA 674:58-61.
  • Lot-size averaging
  • Village plan alternative zoning and subdivision regulations
  • Regulatory standards promoting infill development
  • Growth boundaries intended to maximize efficiency of infrastructure
  • Transfer of development rights and density transfer credit codes
  • Neighborhood heritage districts
  • Building codes for energy-efficient rehabilitation of older structures
  • Corridor planning to increase mixed-income housing near employment nodes
  • Pedestrian- and transit-oriented development and affordable housing
  • Economic development connecting housing and transportation investments
  • Community Revitalization Tax Relief Incentive, RSA 79-E
  • Analysis of ordinances and regulations for workforce (or other) housing’s economic viability

Yes, as long as the grant will be administered by a single municipality. Note that no matter the number of municipalities within one application, the funding limits ($5000 – $20,000) are per application, regardless of number of municipalities per application.